Beethoven

Do not only practice your art, but force your way into it's secrets, for it and knowledge can raise men to the divine. Beethoven

Friday, March 23, 2012

Soap challenge week one



So the week one Challenge thrown out by Amy over at GreatCakesSoapworks was to do an " In the pot" swirl with one more color than I have ever done.
If this is the first you have heard of this I have accepted a challenge to do an assigned technique every week with about 65+ other soap makers and have decided to blog all about it!
And If you are also wondering what in the world a "in the pot" swirl is, basically you have your soap base and you take out as many "servings" as you intend colors. I put them in red solo cups.
 You mix your colors individually in those cups and put them back into the remaining soap base still in your pot. Once around the pot with your spatula will start that swirl and when you pour it into the mold it completes the swirl.
 I did a 4 color swirl last year. you may remember it.
My Energy 4 color swirl. I was a bit more conservative back then! 






Anyway to add one more color made me a bit nervous. It's hard to get all that swirled in time to still get it into the mold before it gets too thick to effectively swirl.
So my beloved better half Alfred graciously took photos while I soaped and he got a little distracted and started taking pictures of the soap lab, the ceiling, my messy lab floor, the poster of Elvis I have hanging on the wall. Subsequently, he filled the camera full and I was not done soaping! I had to stop and clear those silly pics off the camera and my soap became like cement! 
Here are the pics!  
 : Getting all my colors lined up
Getting all my colors lined up
Adding Pure Tussah Silk. Makes for such a wonderful bar!
 : Adding Pure Tussah Silk. Makes for such a wonderful bar!
 : Hand stirring my fragrance oil in. Don't want to get too thick too soon
Hand stirring my fragrance oil in. Don't want to get too thick too soon
Pulse and stir, pulse and stir!
 : Pulse and stir, pulse and stir!
 : getting the colors stirred
getting the colors stirred
putting the colors back into the "pot"
 : putting the colors back into the "pot"
 : At this point I knew I was in trouble! Soap should not look like that!
At this point I knew I was in trouble! Soap should not look like that!
But being the artisan I am I forge ahead!
 : But being the artisan I am I forge ahead!
 : The sorry, sorry results of that batch
The sorry, sorry results of that batch
I knew I could do better so I did it again and this is the result of my second attempt at a 5 color swirl
 : I knew I could do better so I did it again and this is the result of my second attempt at a 5 color swirl




































































































I used cranberry fig in the first bars and they may to go into my "too ugly to sell at full price bin"
 The second batch is scented with one of my favorites. Sage and Lemongrass.
 Ah! My house smells amazing with that soap curing downstairs!
I was pretty happy with the second attempt at this swirl and you can find these bars for sale in my Carbondale shop in about 4 weeks.
This challenge was alot of fun to do and I look forward to my next challenge coming this Sunday. 
I hope you are enjoying our release from winter! I think today was an amazing 71 degrees!
Be blessed,
Donna

5 comments:

  1. Oh Donna, I can so relate to the first atttempt!! Yesterday, I was planning to make the soap for the next challenge, and it totally flopped on me. I am planning to try again today!!

    Now, the second soap looks like a work of art! Wow! The colors just pop! I love it!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the color combinations on your second batch. Brown really does a lot for contrast. Beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Absolutely beautiful! how weird is it that you can do two batches and they come out so differently, Its one of the things I love about soap making, and one of the things I hate too lol!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The second batch is fabulous, the colours really do pop! Lovely soap, Linda

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love how the second batch swirled! I had to do 2 batches too...the first one didn't really work out for me.

    ReplyDelete